Thursday, August 28, 2014

If you have less sometimes you give more



I saw a video today that touched and inspired me to write about homelessness in our own neighborhoods. In this video these guys were doing a  project where they went around asking people for food and you would be surprised who gave.
That also brought to my attention the statistics in my area of homeless during these hard times. What people don't understand is that it could be any one of us this happens to. You don't have to be a drug addict or a drunk to be homeless or even lazy. All you have to do is lose your job and the rest takes care of itself. Did you know that in Tarrant county this year there were 694 children that are homeless? Total homeless in Tarrant are 2,425 and counting with each passing day and of those  23% are from domestic violence. Only 10% are veterans since we have the wounded warrior projects I'm sure that helps to keep them off the streets but not everyone has that benefit program. It is a 1.6 % increase since 2013 but in 2013 it was up 10% from 2012. The facts are times are getting harder and families have no where to turn but shelters if they are lucky. Did you know that most shelters charge you per day per person? If you are homeless where are you supposed to get the money to do this? 
Did you think about the hard winters here or even the 100 degree summers? These people, these humans; are out in this weather with no food ,no water but you're worried about your dogs and cats in this? Truth is we are becoming less and less human every day. We are not considering these peoples circumstances in life and what brought them to this place. Is this what God would want from us? To turn a blind eye to them? If you don't believe in God then is this what it is to be human? To only think of ourselves? If you believe in karma then ponder this...it could be you one day or your kids future if you turn your back on someone in need. 
I am writing this from personal experiences not just talking out my ass. I have had family that has been homeless by the choices they made in life, but do they not deserve compassion? Do we not all deserve that? If life has taught me anything it is this. We all make choices in life, some not so good but I learned not to judge people based off those choices. I learned to offer them love and kindness because that is what I would want  someone to offer me. If we are anything let us be what we were intended to be and that is human. In the Merriam Webster dictionary it states and I quote:

hu·man·i·ty

 noun \hyü-ˈma-nə-tē, yü-\
: the quality or state of being human
: the quality or state of being kind to other people or to animals
: all people

Please think about this in the upcoming months of winter. I encourage you, no I implore you to give not just to charities but if you see someone on the street buy them a meal, take them an old blanket. Something to help them get through their day. What do you have to lose? Ah but think what you have to gain. :)

Now I leave you with this




No comments:

Post a Comment