Tuesday, July 22, 2014

My take on marriage and relationships

Lately I find myself asking how do people stay married? I mean you are with this person everyday for umpteen years, listening to them whine, bitch and moan about their job, their aches and pains, that mole in a rather precarious area you'd rather not research that they aren't sure of. I mean it takes some seriously mad skills to stick it out and carry forward when it's so much easier to tuck tail and run away. Especially if you're anything like me, partially emotionally unavailable. I work on it,but I'm definitely not a cuddle buddy or a coddler. My motto is suck it up buttercup cause life's a bitch and she's hard to ride.

I just finished watching So this is 40, for the hundredth time and I have to say my favorite part in that film was when they were in the principals office after that altercation with a fellow parent and they presented a united front even though they were unsure of being together themselves deep down they were there for each other to take care of the family. If you haven't seen it,  here's a clip. Plus it's good for a  laugh.

Anyways that is exactly what my husband and I would do and have done in the past. We are a united front, especially when it comes to the kids and occasionally each other. We can call each other names and almost detest each other at times but in the end ,we always have each others back. Admit it ladies I know I am not the only one out there that feels this way. You sit there looking at them day in and day out, listening to how their day sucked and they rarely listen to yours, you make them dinner every day or at least try and clean the house and have sex with them and sometimes want to smother them with a pillow like Chow did the chicken in the Hangover scene. It's all too much sometimes with the kids and life,sometimes you lose control.
 

And guys we know we are not the only ones, we know how you want to kill us too. Come on we want it, let's hear it the truth.  The truth is we are just fucking insane, half the time we as women can barely hold our shit together let alone the entire families. We have more personalities and Cybil and we know it! If it's that time of the month ,you better be prepared like end of the world apocalyptic prepared. That means if you want to live stock up on chocolate, wine and Midol, hell buy stock in the shit! It would be a wise investment. When it's not that time of the month  we are generally sane, to an extent. We know we're not easy to live with either. We can be a challenge and we whine just as much as you guys and cry and scream, so kudos to y'all for not ending our lives sooner than expected.

What I'm getting at is ,relationships are hard sometimes and they take work, I'm learning this slowly but surely , but in the end it all works out if you can stick with it. I don't know about you but I for one would much rather be with someone who's seen me at my worst and still wants to be with me, than the person sitting alone at Applebee's at the bar drowning my sorrows in a cup.



So when you're in doubt about your relationship, just remember the Ark wasn't built overnight and neither is a lasting relationship. The key is to not let it sink, but sometimes it's okay to let it ride till the waters calm down. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment